The Metal Decorators held their first meeting as the Metal Decorating Association in Brooklyn, New York on August 14, 1933. The initial meeting was attended by a few decorators who were in the Northeastern section of the United States. Within a year's time, the enthusiasm grew so much that decorators from across the United States were eager to join thus creating a national scope which lead to the formation of the National Metal Decorators Association in 1934. The Association held its first convention in 1935 to promote the industry; since that time, the association has continued to grow to include members from more than 30 countries worldwide. For sixty years the membership was exclusively for metal decorators and in 1994 the Association voted to expand the membership to include suppliers of products, services, and equipment utilized in the metal decorating process resulting in a stronger and better informed membership.
The Objectives of the International Metal Decorators Association are:
- To foster and encourage improvements and advances in the art of metal decorating through education and communications.
- To stimulate the interest of members to make improvements in material, mechanical, technical. Environmental and manufacturing phases of the metal decorating industry.
- To provide information for improving the quality and the standard of work being performed.
- To provide information pertaining to improved and efficient methods for the general handling of their business.
- To foster, maintain and encourage amicable relations among the members of the Association and their fellow employees.
- To foster and encourage social exchange among individuals engaged in the industry.
Apply for Membership here.
A metal decorating publication, International Metal Decorator, is produced by the association and is distributed to all current members; the cost of the magazine is included in the membership dues. The publication features articles relating to technology, equipment, quality, environmental compliance, recycling, market surveys, industry promotion and membership news.
Our association also produces and distributes a membership directory which lists the names, addresses and phone numbers of the members. This directory serves as a useful tool for communicating with other members throughout the year. This directory is only distributed to our membership for their personal use and not for commercial purpose.
The IMDA offers several Scholarships each year to its members and family members for secondary education expenses and for industry related seminars to further enhance the member's trade knowledge. You may obtain information by requesting a form via email. Please be certain to complete your information so we can be certain to contact you. The deadline for submission each year is March 31.
EXCELLENCE IN QUALITY
Each year the IMDA conducts a Quality Contest to recognize the skillful achievements of the metal decorating industry. Entries from around the globe are judged in eight categories with the best entry given the Grand Award.
Click here for our Quality Award Winners.